Brain waves that is. I finally figured out why I didn't like my steed and it was all the block colour. I like purple but I like variation and that was the problem so I changed the colour of the scales and now it looks and feels right. The purple and blue really stands out against the gold but then the armour blends nicely so it adds a sense of theme throughout the model. I'd like to say it was intentional but it was a complete accident that I've replicated.
Now I did glue the saddle on while I painted it but then took it back off so that it can all be attached properly once I put the chariot back on the base (I took it off so I can base the model properly).
Pictures of the steed to follow but the next pictures you see of anything chariot related will be when the whole thing is done. Enjoy.