Friday 7 June 2013

The Shadow in the Warp

This isn't a Daemon post and it isn't a Chaos Marine post either. This is about the thing that even they fear: the Tyranids. Well, one Tyranid. A Hormagaunt to be exact. I was teaching my nephew and a friend of his to paint and I used an old model to demonstrate and let my nephew practice. I had to do a little cleaning up and it isn't completely the way I'd have done it but it's not bad and when Tyranids do get their update I'm tempted to start a Hive Fleet in these colours. The skin was started with Naggaroth Night and initially layered up with Xerus and Genestealer Purple but after many layering mistakes I decided it would be easier and less frustrating to teach dry brushing so they were drybrushed on instead. A final highlight of Xerus Purple and White Scar was drybrushed to pick out the final raised areas. The carapace was left black and various blues were drybrushed on (I think it started with Kantor Blue but I'm not 100% sure). I do remember that the final colour was Temple Guard Blue though. The tongue and eyes were done with Warpstone and Moot Green so that I could demonstrate a glowing effect with the eyes.


I say again that it isn't as detailed as I'd like to paint but most of it was painted by a 7 year old so I don't think it turned out too badly. Pictures are below, let me know what you think so I can let my nephew know :)






2 comments:

  1. Looks pretty good. The colors go well, but I feel it may be a little too muted in the colors. If they were maybe a little more vivid idk. I think some near white on the teeth might help give it some depth. There just isn't enough contrast at the moment. Not bad at all though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is better painted than when I started at 16! Well done!
    Looking forward to great things in the future

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...