Quite literally in some cases and today has shown one such case as today's project was... Plaguebearers!!! I saw a YouTube guide on these that I liked so much that I ditched my own carefully planned and thought out colour scheme in favour of this one and by Nurgle I'm glad I did.
Yesterday I posted pictures of them all built up and primed in white, so today has been all about painting them. After a not so quick trip to the Dudley store and to Model Zone *gasp* I had everything I needed to make them look especially gross and diseased; they are Plaguebearers after all.
I started with a wash of Athonian Camoshade over absolutely everything; skin, swords, standard... Then the horns were washed with Seraphim Sepia and painted with a mix of Cadian Fleshtone and Dryad Bark (roughly 2:1). The eyes were given a wash of Druchii Violet, a Ceramite White base and a pupil in Abaddon Black. The pole of the standard was based with Dryad Bark and highlighted in Gorthor Brown.
From here is gets a little funky as I applied base coats to the internal organs, bones, teeth, dead heads, maggots and any metal (Bugman's Glow, Zandri Dust, Rakarth Flesh and Leadbelcher respectively) before adding a 1:1 mix of Agrax Earthshade and Nuln Oil, taking care not to get any on the skin.
From there the standard itself was brushed over in parts with a coat of Nurgling Green with the bells in Warplock Bronze, the bones were given a coat of Ushabti Bone and the maggots and dead heads highlighted with Pallid Wych Flesh (the latter having hair in Abaddon Black, highlighted in Eshin Grey and further highlighted in Dawnstone). All the pustules and boils on their bodies were given either a Lamenter's Yellow or Bloodletter glaze with a few of them given both.
The part that took the most work was the internal organs. Or I guess they'd be external being as they're falling out... Whatever, they took a while an here's why. After the Bugman's Glow and the wash mix the organs were given a coat of Cadian Fleshtone and a highlight of Kislev Flesh. After that I sort of cheated of Citadel with Tamiya Color (it's an American company so I'm aware that colour is spelt incorrectly). The paint in question is X-27 Clear Red and that stuff... Just wow. You can see the results below.
All I have to do tomorrow is base them and that will be my first ever Nurgle daemons complete and I have to say they look pretty good even if I say so myself. I do plan to weather them up a bit but I have to order those paints online so it'll have to wait until pay day.