Sunday 23 June 2013

Terrible Twos

The job today was to finish another Cultist and I'm pretty pleased with the results. In keeping with my new way of painting them this one is inspired by the World Eaters legion. You may be thinking "hold on, that guy isn't red" but alas you either forget or are unaware that I'm painting my World Eaters in their pre-Heresy colours so white and blue are the way to go. The results are below.
Starting with the part of the model that dominates the view, the robes. They were based in Eshin Grey and then highlighted with Dawnstone, Ulthuan Grey and Pallid Wych Flesh. The skin was done in my usual way with Bugman's Glow, Cadian Fleshtone and Kislev Flesh.


The belts were based with Caledor Sky and highlighted with Altdorf Guard Blue, Calgar Blue and Fenrisian Grey (which is more blue than grey so I don't quite get why it's categorised as a grey...). The metal was painted like Khorne's favourite metal which is Brass. This includes the belt knife, the axe itself and the finger claw things so they were based in Warplock Bronze then highlighted with Brass Scorpion and Runelord Brass then drybrushed with Golden Griffon. As this was a World Eaters inspired piece there had to be blood so Tamiya X-27 made a long awaited comeback.

The Chaos stars were painted with Kabalite Green, Warpstone Glow, Moot Green and Yriel Yellow. I painted the bandages like the parchment on my Dark Apostle so they were done in Rakarth Flesh and washed with Seraphim Sepia. Unlike the parchment however I didn't highlight again and I did an extra wash or two of Seraphim Sepia. On the underneath of the raised foot I actually did some dirt by drybrushing from Gorthor Brown down to Rhinox Hide.

I'm actually really happy with how this guy has turned out and I have also learned my lesson with gore (see the post about my Herald of Nurgle before I fixed it) and gone for a less is more approach. Now I'm aware that Khorne is all about the gore but I figure that a Cultist isn't quite at the homicidal level of the Berzerkers. At least not yet anyway. Plus this way he can still stand with the rest of the Cultists without standing out as being gore covered. Even my Death Guard won't stand out too much with the grossness.

I leave you now with some parting shots of a close up of the axe head and a view of my two cultists together. Hope you like and if you have any comments you know where to leave them :)

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!! But not too much
Starting to look like a family
A very strange family at that

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...